Construction work for the new $606.2 million North Island Hospitals Project begins Monday July 7th on both the Courtenay and Campbell River sites.
Work at the Courtenay site near Lerwick and Ryan roads will include the beginnings of on-site access road construction and excavation of the hospital footprint. This is expected to lead to an increase in truck traffic in the Lerwick Road area. Traffic and dust control measures will be in effect. Comox Valley hospital site drawing
Initial work at the Campbell River site is more complex because it takes place around the existing hospital.
- The south parking lot and helipad will be permanently closed starting the morning of Monday, July 7th as new fencing is installed to secure the new hospital construction site.
- Two new hospital parking lots are now open, offering 144 additional parking stalls, off 2nd Avenue just west of Yucalta Lodge. A new shuttle service is in operation between the hospital main entrance and the new temporary parking lots, Monday to Friday in the mornings.
- Air Ambulance traffic will be re-routed to the Campbell River Airport as has been done in the past. The new hospital will have a rooftop heliport.
- Starting Tuesday, July 8th, there will be some traffic disruption on 2nd Avenue and in the main hospital entrance area to permit excavation and installation of water and gas lines for the new hospital. Traffic control personnel will be on hand to assist motorists and pedestrians.
- In the following week, the water and gas line installation work will continue along the new ambulance access route beside the Sunshine Wellness Centre.
- On or about July 14th, tree clearing will begin at the south end of the property from the corner of Birch Street and Evergreen Road.
- The fourth week in July (around the 21st) will see re-paving of the new ambulance access route to a wider standard, leading to the anticipated opening of the new ambulance access route at the end of the month. See Campbell River hospital site drawing
Construction of the new hospitals will continue into 2017. The North Island Hospitals Project team is working with our many partners at Tandem Health Partners including Graham Design Builders, Campbell River Hospital site administration, physicians, staff, volunteers and neighbours, ensuring construction–related disruptions are kept to a minimum at both hospital construction sites.
Please watch for more information in the days ahead. You can also visit the North Island Hospitals Project website at: www.nihp.viha.ca